2020 Municipal Election Information
The City of Holly Springs government consists of a Mayor and five Council Members. The term of each office is four years. The elections are staggered every two years.The City of Holly Springs is divided into five geographic wards, which are elected at-large by plurality vote. Candidates must reside in the ward he or she is running for when he or she qualifies as a candidate. Elected officials shall continue to reside the the ward he or she qualified for the duration of their period of service as well as continue to be registered and eligible to vote in municipal elections of the City.
Candidates elected to office in the November election take office in the month of January of the following year. They will be sworn in at the first Council meeting of the year.
Qualifying dates and fees are set by state law. All potential candidates are qualified by the City Clerk. Qualifying fees are 3% of the Mayor’s and Councilmember’s annual salaries, $360 and $180 respectively.
The qualifying dates for the November 3, 2020 election are August 17th -19th from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. in the City Clerks Office, located at Holly Springs City Hall, 3237 Holly Springs Parkway.
If someone is considering seeking any of these positions, prior to soliciting campaign contributions, they must file a “Declaration of Intention to Accept Campaign Contributions” and they may also file a “Registration form for a Campaign Committee other than Candidate.” Potential candidates must also complete a Campaign Contribution Disclosure Report and Personal Financial Disclosure Statement. All campaign and financial reports are filed with the City Clerk.
To Qualify for Candidacy:
To be eligible for office you must:
- Be 21 years of age or older;
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a registered voter in Cherokee County;
- Be a resident of the City of Holly Springs;
- Reside within the designated geographical boundaries for a period of a minimum of one year;
- Have all public monies accounted for;
- Never have been convicted and sentenced for fraudulent violation of election laws, malfeasance in office, or felony involving moral turpitude or conviction of domestic violence under the laws of this State or any other State of the United States, unless the candidate’s civil rights have been restored and at least ten years have elapsed, from the date of completion of the sentence, without a subsequent conviction of another felony involving moral turpitude;
- Pay the appropriate qualifying fee; file a pauper’s affidavit or qualify as a write-in candidate
- Qualify to run in the Office of the City Clerk on the dates/times specified
You must file a Notice of Candidacy and Affidavit at the City Clerk's office during the designated qualifying dates and time.
House Bill 1087
City residents will also see the following question on their November 3, 2020 ballot:
"Shall the Act be approved which provides a homestead exemption from City of Holly Springs ad valorem taxes for municipal purposes in the amount of up to $409,900.00 of the appraised value of the homestead for residents of that city who are 62 years of age or older?"
Municipal General Election: Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Absentee mail-out, in-person early voting and voter registration information call 770-479-0407.
On Election Day – voters will be required to vote at their Cherokee County polling locations. For more information or to locate your polling place; or dates/times/locations for absentee and early voting – please call 770-479-0407; Email: email@example.com; or visit their website: http://voter.cherokeega.com.
The voter registration deadline for the November 3, 2020 election is October 5, 2020. You may register at http://voter.cherokeega.com.