The City of Holly Springs is governed by a mayor and five council members. The term of each office is four years. Elections are staggered every two years. The City of Holly Springs is divided into five geographic wards, which are elected by an at-large popular vote. Candidates must reside in the ward he or she is running for when he or she qualifies as a candidate. Elected officials shall continue to reside in the ward he or she qualified for the duration of their period of service as well as continue to be registered and eligible to vote in municipal elections of the City. City elections are nonpartisan.
Candidates elected to office in the November election take office in January of the following year. They will be sworn in at the first Council meeting of the year.
How to Qualify for Candidacy
To be eligible for office you must:
- Be 21 years of age or older;
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a registered voter in Cherokee County;
- Be a resident of the City of Holly Springs;
- Reside within the designated geographical boundaries for a period of a minimum of one year;
- Have all public monies accounted for;
- Never have been convicted and sentenced for fraudulent violation of election laws, malfeasance in office, or felony involving moral turpitude or conviction of domestic violence under the laws of this State or any other State of the United States, unless the candidate’s civil rights have been restored and at least ten years have elapsed, from the date of completion of the sentence, without a subsequent conviction of another felony involving moral turpitude;
- Pay the appropriate qualifying fee, file a pauper’s affidavit or qualify as a write-in candidate
- Qualify to run in the Office of the City Clerk on the dates/times specified
Forms to complete and return during the qualifying period:
- Notice of Candidacy and Affidavit
- Declaration of Intention to Accept Campaign Contributions (DOI) for Local Filers
- Media Release Form
Other forms that may be required:
- Personal Financial Disclosure Statement Report (Paper) for Local Filers
- Campaign Contribution Disclosure Report (CCDR)
- Campaign Contribution Disclosure Report (CCDR) – Final Report & Termination Statement
- Affidavit of a Candidate’s Intent not to Exceed $2,500 in Contributions and/or Expenditures for Local Filers
- Two Business Days Report
- Registration form for a Candidate’s Campaign Finance Committee (Form RC) for Local Filers
Code of Ethics
The City Clerk, Karen Norred, serves as the Qualifying Official.
Absentee mail-out, in-person early voting and voter registration information call 770-479-0407.
On Election Day, voters will be required to vote at their Cherokee County polling locations. For more information or to locate your polling place; or dates/times/locations for absentee and early voting – please call 770-479-0407; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit their website: http://voter.cherokeega.com.
City of Holly Springs’ elections are governed by the Municipal Election Code of the State of Georgia and the City Charter.
You may register to vote at http://voter.cherokeega.com.
Karen Norred, CMC, ACHRM
City Clerk/Human Resources Director
3237 Holly Springs Parkway, Holly Springs, GA 30115
P.O. Box 990, Holly Springs, GA 30142
Ph: (770) 345-5536 Fx: (770) 345-0209
Hours:Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm