Yard of the Month
The Holly Springs Tree Commission established the Yard of the Month (YOTM) Committee to promote goodwill and reward exemplary yards in the community. The purpose of the program is to recognize neighbors who demonstrate above-average efforts in maintaining their property, thereby contributing to the overall appearance of the community at large. This program is administered entirely by volunteers.
From April through September, the YOTM Committee will choose a yard that best typifies the qualities of: uniqueness, beauty, appeal, and consistency with the guidelines.
Since the YOTM Committee will mainly deal with “curb appeal,” nominations will be for front and side yards jointly, as well as the exterior of the house. The Committee will submit residential yard nominations to the Tree Commission during the first few days of each month. The winner of the Yard of the Month will be provided with a decorative yard sign for display indicating their winning yard, as well as a posting and photo in the Whistle Stop and City of Holly Springs social media pages.
- All residential properties within the city limits are automatically eligible.
- Award winners are selected based on the recommended judging criteria listed below.
- Key criteria include manicured yard, beauty, originality, and creativity.
- The upkeep of the yard can reflect the efforts of the residents themselves or that of a professional landscaper or groundskeeper.
- An award duration term lasts a single month, and runs from the 15th of each month to the 15th of the following month.
- The same property cannot receive more than one award in a 12 month time period. At least 12 months must elapse between awards for the same yard.
- Recipients will be recognized at a City Council meeting.
- Recipients receiving awards in the middle of the month shall surrender their award at the end of that same month.
- While an individual’s home is being recognized as a “Yard of the Month,” they are expected to maintain their yard in the same manner that allowed them to win the title.
RECOMMENDED JUDGING CRITERIA
Holly Springs Yard of the Month (YOTM) Committee, Yard of the Month candidates are judged solely on the total exterior appearance of their property and front yard as viewed from the street. General upkeep of the yard and property is paramount.
Factors include the overall appearance; tidiness and neatness of the front of the property as evidenced by pruned, trimmed and shaped foliage, edged and defined lawns, borders and flower beds, and a visually appealing facade. The Holly Springs Tree Commission will choose each yard.
Nominations can be made by emailing: email@example.com
Buildings, fences, porches, and patios on the property are required to be in good repair, i.e. minimal distraction from the landscape due to deterioration, damage or construction